Monday 4 March 2013

Personal Training in the Cotswolds: Week 1

Zane Bokmeldere PT
The Project
My name is Evan, I'm 27 years old and I have enjoyed working out for many years, but sometimes I lack the motivation. I'm doing a project over the next three months to transform my view of food and exercise, with the help of Zane, a personal trainer who lives the life that many people wish they could.

Counter-Intuition: Don't be a Slave to the Scales
For Zane, there is no excuse to be fat. Going into a cafe, she'll order a latte with no sugar or a milk free americano. To eat? Well that's another thing, because she simply doesn't eat cafe food. Instead she prepares a shaker which has high protein foods ready for preparation, primed by adding hot water. Where does she get the water from? She just asks the staff. Odd you might think? Not as odd as you'd expect, having a gang of personal trainers in your cafe isn't a bad idea, so providing a bit of hot water on the house helps breed a good atmosphere. And protein, for a lady? Doesn't that give ladies a bulky shape? If you didn't know her you might not tell she trained. In fact, when woman train with weights they are much more likely to become slimmer than bigger, because they simply cannot build the types of muscle men can. Whilst she may weigh more than when she didn't lift weights, clothes loosen as the weight is redistributed into heavier muscle that has a smaller volume.

Compound Interest on Your Choices
Not only does Zane not have an interest in the croissants and cakes at a cafe, but nowadays it's clear if you were to buy some food out, your eyes open as you realise most cafes are now doing porridge and sugar free yoghurt, as well as fruit. Of all the things available these are the healthiest option, yet have the least process. Is it this that makes people not willing to pay money for it? Many people suffer with faulty maths when weighing up food decisions. "I'm paying for something that someone has put work into" might be what you subconsciously think when you see a barista labouring over a mocha with whipped cream, "I'm not paying £2.80 for some grapes and mango" might be another thought. But for your waistline, the choice between the two options is markedly different.

If you go for a porridge, adding your own ingredients to it isn't banned, putting some seeds or whey powder in doesn't do anybody harm yet lets you be healthy. With that, you avoid wheat, a product Zane doesn't see much use in, "It's bloating."

First Week: No Exercise!
The first meeting was simple, I was given a sheet to be my "food diary" from Monday to Sunday, and I was simply to fill it in along with the amount of water I consume each day. It was an eye opening experience. Don't get me wrong, I've tried food diaries before unaided. However, when you are simply showing it to yourself and not a health professional, delusion will set in. Lots of people try to get around the fact they care about what other people think, but it would be very hard to lose that impulse, so why not use social pressure constructively? Knowing I have to show this food diary to someone who has higher standards means I automatically want to eat less.

I was shocked reading my food diary that I ate chocolate 5 days of the week, only one day was unmarred by sweet things. On one of the days I didn't eat chocolate, I had gingerbread and a croissant. If I'm honest, for the last few months I usually eat more rubbish, but knowing I would write about this and my determination to change has led me to already make gains and reducing my intake. Upon telling Zane I had chocolate 5 days of the week, she simply said "That'll have to be gone soon". It's one thing to know it, but to be told that by someone who does it themselves is inspirational.

With my slip ups, it's little wonder I find myself just over 14 stone with a BMI of 27.5, when BMI apparently should be 18.5-24.9. At 181 cm I should be about 11-12 1/4 stone. I have tried many incentives to make myself lose weight. I have a pair of jeans that cost £50 a size too small for me, that have stayed unused for over a year. Getting a personal trainer strips away the excuses and helps you avoid silly things like scale gazing, which often depresses you and makes you go back to eating trash food in frustration at not seeing instant changes.

BMI is often criticised and rightly so, because it doesn't take body fat percentages into account, but I can hardly claim the extra weight I'm carrying is a six pack. Between 2008-9 I did have a six pack and was in the weight range the BMI would find acceptable. I remember then it could be as much as a month before I ate ice cream and I hardly drank alcohol. I avoided dairy because it had negative affects on my nose, and I held to it. So when Zane told me she will drink alcohol only twice a year and I was the one horrified, I realise how far I've drifted.

Perhaps you are the same, and just need a personal trainer to get you back on track.

If you are interested in training with Zane, especially if you are a lady who wants to learn from a girl who knows what you are capable of, contact Zane for personal training or phone coaching here: zane@zanekremane.com

No comments:

Post a Comment